Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Suddenly...


Every day has 24 hours but some zoom by in a wonderful blur of grandbaby visits and trips in the US. Now "suddenly" there are only 17 days to departure!

I have communicated with two of the people arriving when I do (hi, Laura and Mary Beth!) and we have arranged to take a weekend jaunt to Ko Samui http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Samui, an island south of Bangkok. I am waiting for the work assignment, but the summer volunteers teach English to a variety of ages so "talking" may once again be my most important qualification.

I try to read fiction about the location before I go, particularly by authors from that country, even if they now live in the US. There are lots of novels about Thailand, but mostly about exotic adventures by American visitors, usually suspense or spy related. I did find a trilogy called The Falcon of Siam

byAxel Aylwen, sweeping histories of Thailand in the time of European expansion. It is the only Asian country that has never been dominated. I read two Girl from the Land of Smiles and The Ambassador's Wife that give interesting insights into female trafficking, which is notable in Bangkok. I will be interested to hear more.

Thailand is culturally Buddhist and we are warned to be very respectful of the religion in our dress and the royal family in our comments. I am there to watch and learn. And there should be a lot to see!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment